- New York
Areas of Law
Kathryn B. Solley
201 17th Street NW, Suite 1700
Atlanta, GA 30363
Kathy Solley is a partner in Nelson Mullins Riley & Scarborough’s Atlanta office, where she practices executive compensation, employee benefits and ERISA law. She works with public and private companies and their employee benefits needs and has worked as in-house counsel with a large electric public utility in the northeast and then with a large, publicly traded multinational corporation. She also advises governmental pension plans and tax exempt entities on employee benefits and executive compensation matters.
- Serves clients on legal matters pertaining to employee benefits and executive compensation, including nonqualified deferred compensation plans, defined benefit pension plans, 401(k) plans, group health plans, and stock options, as well as fiduciary counseling under ERISA
- Counsels on day-to-day plan administration as well as the impact of employee benefits and compensation for mergers, acquisitions, and divestitures
- Drafted one of the first cash balance pension plans and has followed the changing legal environment for such hybrid plans since then
- Guides clients through 401(k) plan corrections, including negotiating filings and closing agreements with the Internal Revenue Service
- Fiduciary counseling focuses on benefit plan committees, both administrative and investment, and their members
- Advises clients on Affordable Care Act (ACA) compliance and reporting, including strategies for identifying full-time employee status.
- Serves as counsel to the pension board of a governmental plan, with a focus on improvement of administrative processes and open record issues.